News‎ > ‎

Publication pages upgrade, phase 1/3

posted Feb 11, 2012, 2:07 PM by Marco Spruit   [ updated Feb 11, 2012, 2:10 PM ]
I just completed the first phase of my long overdue upgrade of my manually maintained publication pages. After this first phase, I now successfully generate publication overviews by sorting on either publication year or publication type automatically, in sync. The original reason was the yearly request for the annual report in the Bibtex-like format of the impossibly amateuristic METIS system. As the METIS Personal interface is simply unacceptable, I decided this year to work around it for good by writing my first-ever Google Apps javascript to generate the METIS publications update from a standard Google Docs spreadsheet to both a Google Docs file and METIS export web page. Then I thought, while I'm at it... I don't think I'll ever get used to script languages, though. In phase two, I'll add a By Topic page and complete my publication database spreadsheet with Submitted, Revised and In Preparation categories, so I can remove my manual main pubilcation page and replace it with a dynamic dashboard. In Phase three I will move from Research to Education... But not this weekend.